Foundation plus (ExF+)
An introduction into potentially explosive atmospheres.
The CompEx Foundation plus qualification, is an alternative to the CompEx Foundation qualification. This course covers the same theory-based learning, but also includes practical training that allows candidates to learn the correct techniques for glanding and terminating low voltage cables in hazardous locations.
This qualification is suitable for electrical or instrumentation technicians who are new to working in hazardous areas, trainees, and recently qualified technicians who wish to develop their knowledge of working safely in hazardous areas.
With its practical element, the CompEx Foundation Plus qualification is ideal for those considering the Ex01-Ex04 Gas and Vapours qualification, which includes a number of practical assessments.
Basic hand skills.
Approximately 2 days, depending on the training provider.
- This course includes both theoretical and practical elements.
- Guided learning: 10-14 hours.
The Foundation Plus qualification provides candidates with a basic understanding of the regulations, directives and standards associated with hazardous locations.
This course provides an overview of where gases, vapours or dust could potentially create an explosive or flammable atmosphere, how hazardous areas are classified, the safe working practices that should be followed and the basic protection concepts used for certifying Ex equipment.
The course uses a combination of theoretical and applied learning, including how to correctly identify, install and terminate certified Ex cable glands and conductors. This practical element means that the qualification is primarily aimed at technical personnel who wish to develop their abilities before undertaking more technical CompEx qualifications.
Key learning objectives
Candidates that successfully complete the CompEx Foundation Plus qualification will be able to:
- Identify the correct national regulations, directives, and IEC standards which relate to hazardous areas.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the main protection concepts, categories and protection levels that apply to equipment certified for use in hazardous areas.
- Recognise the elements that make up a hazardous atmosphere and the precautions required to be taken.
- Identify the correct descriptors used for criteria that classify a hazardous gas, vapour or dust location.
Through the practical assessment candidates will be able to:
- Select the correct Ex cable glands to be installed during the assessment.
- Demonstrate the ability to correctly install certified Ex glands to armoured and non-armoured low voltage cables using appropriate tools.
- Demonstrate the ability to correctly terminate low voltage cable conductors into an enclosure using the appropriate tools.
Successful candidates will receive an internationally recognised CompEx Certificate for Foundation Plus in Hazardous Awareness.
Assessment is undertaken using a practical assessment and an online examination.
Candidates must undertake a multiple-choice online examination. This exam consists of 30 questions answered over 45 minutes.
Candidates must complete an installation assessment where they will be required to gland and terminate one SWA/SWB cable and one non-armoured cable into an enclosure (duration 1.5 hours).
Find a centre
Find your nearest licensed CompEx centre and get full contact details using our simple map facility.
Achieving CompEx core competency is essential for practitioners who work in potentially explosive environments, but competency must be maintained following certification.